Multiplication and addition in one calculation error

Sarah Hole
Sarah Hole ✭✭
edited 02/15/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hi , I want to add a percentage to one cost then add additional costs without the percentage. Have tried various setups with Unparseable every time. What am I getting wrong?!

=([valueA]@row *1.18, [valueB]@row, [valueC]@row)

=([valueA]@row *1.18), [valueB]@row, [valueC]@row

=(([valueA *1.18), [valueB]@row, [valueC]@row)

=([valueA *1.18), [valueB]@row, [valueC]@row

=([valueA *1.18), +([valueB]@row, [valueC]@row)

=[valueA *1.18, (+[valueB]@row, [valueC]@row)

=([valueA *1.18), (+[valueB]@row, [valueC]@row)

Tags:

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sarah Hole,

The issue you're encountering stems from the syntax and structure of the formulas you're trying to create in Smartsheet. When you want to add a percentage to one cost and then add additional costs without the percentage, the correct formula structure is crucial to avoid the "Unparseable" error.

To achieve this, you need to ensure that your formula correctly applies the percentage increase to valueA and then adds the unmodified values of valueB and valueC. The correct formula structure for this operation in Smartsheet should look something like this:

=([valueA]@row * 1.18) + [valueB]@row + [valueC]@row

This formula does the following:

1. ([valueA]@row * 1.18) - This part calculates the increased value of valueA by multiplying it by 1.18 (which represents the original value plus an 18% increase).
    2. + [valueB]@row + [valueC]@row - This part adds the values of valueB and valueC to the result from step 1 without any percentage increase.

Each of the formulas you attempted seems to have syntax issues, such as misplaced parentheses, commas used incorrectly, or incorrect formula structures that Smartsheet cannot parse. Remember that in Smartsheet formulas:

• Every opening parenthesis must have a closing one.
    • Operations within the formula should be clearly defined and separated by proper operators (like + for addition).
    • Commas are not used to separate different parts of a formula in this context; instead, use them within functions to separate arguments.

If you're still encountering issues, ensure that valueA, valueB, and valueC are correctly named references to cells or columns in your sheet, and that they contain numerical values that can be used in mathematical operations.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Yes ! Thanks that pesky little + sign was missing. Thanks so much!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sarah Hole,

Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!