Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to Countif only the un-checked boxes in a column (leaving out blank boxes)

Options
IG1AJK2
IG1AJK2
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I understand how to countif the checkboxes in a column with the COUNTIF=([range]:[c],1) such as shown in this community post: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/counting-checked-boxes But I want to be able to count the boxes that are un-checked. I used CountIF=([range]:[c], 0) but it gave me the other blank boxes in the column that have no checkbox or data entered into it. If you have any idea of how to do this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe you may have stumped me.

The rows that have no check box are not really rows, except they are. That is, if you have the Created / Modified or Auto-Number system columns displayed, they will be blank. Somewhere on the row there must be some data in one of the columns. When there is, the check box symbol will show up.

However, counting the a range with them in it ignore this and treat them as if they did exist (and to the formula's way of looking at the range, they do).

I haven't figured out a work-around for this.

You may want to contact support@smartsheet.com

Craig

• Mehmet Zengin
    Options

I am not sure if that's the right solution but here I try.

Formula in Column4: =IF([Column3]1 = 0, 1, 0)

Formula in Column5: =COUNTIF([Column4]1:[Column4]5, 1)

That solution fails if you input "0" in one of the cells as actual data.

SS.PNG

• curt0724
    curt0724 ✭✭✭
    Options

Did anyone figure out how ot make this work?

I have a checkbox column in a sheet and I'm trying to get a total of all the rows that are unchecked in the sheet onto a dashboard. I create a separate sheet to calculate the value for the dashboard and used the column as a range but the number is not correct. There are 10 blank rows at the bottom of the source sheet that show as unchecked since I am checking for a zero in the field. How can I get the correct number of unchecked boxes using a range?

Here is my formula: =COUNTIFS({Copy of ECO tracker Smartsheet Done}, 0)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

How did it go? Did you manage to get something set up?

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Did anyone figure out a solution to this?  I am having the exact same issue....  

• Adamcain62
    Adamcain62 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I used a Countifs formula, and checked if another column was not empty.  This one is referencing another sheet, where 'Column1' is the checkbox column, and 'Column2' is a column that will always contain information for a row.

=COUNTIFS({column1}, false, {Column2}, "<>")

This discussion has been closed.