Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automate RYG balls

Chris Hicks
Chris Hicks ✭✭✭
edited 07/25/17 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi,

I am just getting started with formulas. I'd like to automate the colors of my RYG symbols based on the dropdown options in another column (see screenshot).

If Status column is Event Scheduled - Green

If Status column is Event Declined - Red

If Status column is anything else - Yellow.

Can you tell me how I would write this as a formula? I'm assuming it would be a nested IF statement but I haven't been successful in creating it.

Thanks!

Chris

RYG.png

RYG.png

RYG.png

RYG.png

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

=IF(status1="Event Scheduled", "Green", IF(status1="Event Declined", "Red", "Yellow"))

Try this one out. It will check the results of Status1 and give you different results based on your answers. 

• Chris Hicks
    Chris Hicks ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike! That did it!!!

I was confused about where to put the () but now that I've seen your formula, I think I'll be able to apply it other places as well. 

Chris

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I could help. With nested IF statements all of the closing parenthesis go at the end. A great tip for Smartsheets, to ensure you don't put too many or too few parentheses (A  frequent cause of errors) is to leave off all the closing parenthesis of nested IF statements at the end of the formula. Smartsheets will add them for you. Otherwise, it's great to use a tool like notepad++ that will highlight the parenthesis when you select them so you can ensure you are closing all the paragraph tags appropriately. 

• Chris Hicks
    Chris Hicks ✭✭✭

That's super helpful! Thanks Mike! It's great having a community to learn from.

This discussion has been closed.