Calculating duration using "Actual Start Date" and Todays date

Hi, I am trying to calculate duration and I have tried every formula I can google leaving me with unparseable or incorrect argument set... the fields I am trying to use in my metric sheet are "Actual Start Date" and then TODAYS date. I currently have several variations of this =IF(TODAY() - [Actual Start Date]@row)) or =IF(ISDATE(TODAY()) - [Actual Start Date]@row.

Any help is greatly appreciated, TY!

Best Answer

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/21/24 Answer ✓

A few different ways you can do this.

Omits non-work days based on your project settings =NETWORKDAY([Actual Start Date]@row, TODAY())

Omits non-work days based on your project settings=NETWORKDAYS([Actual Start Date]@row, TODAY())

Number of calendar days between days, including today =NETDAYS([Actual Start Date]@row, TODAY())

Number of calendar days between days, excluding today =TODAY() - [Actual Start Date]@row

I forget what the difference between NETWORKDAYS and NETWORKDAY actually is, I think one of them doesn't include the start/end date. But play with all of them and see which one works for you.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/21/24 Answer ✓

A few different ways you can do this.

Omits non-work days based on your project settings =NETWORKDAY([Actual Start Date]@row, TODAY())

Omits non-work days based on your project settings=NETWORKDAYS([Actual Start Date]@row, TODAY())

Number of calendar days between days, including today =NETDAYS([Actual Start Date]@row, TODAY())

Number of calendar days between days, excluding today =TODAY() - [Actual Start Date]@row

I forget what the difference between NETWORKDAYS and NETWORKDAY actually is, I think one of them doesn't include the start/end date. But play with all of them and see which one works for you.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Thank you the =TODAY() - [Actual Start Date]@row worked!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!