Column formula possible to count instances sequentially in an ever growing list

Probably a dream but, is it possible to have a column formula that would count, in sequence, the instances in a list.

The first time a Name appears on a list would = 1

The second time a Name appears on a list would = 2

I have it solved with a formula but it can not be a column formula because of the variable piece.

=IF(DOS@row = "", "", COUNTIF($SURGEON$1:$SURGEON2855, SURGEON@row))

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers

With a couple helper columns, you can create a column formula to achieve this.

You need an autonumber column, then you need a helper column lets say called Row, the formula in row would be =match(helpercolumn@row, helpercolumn:helpercolumn, 0) - this gives you the row number that's referenceable, which you can add into your countif criteria

=IF(DOS@row = "", "", COUNTIF($SURGEON:$SURGEON, SURGEON@row, row:row, <row@row))

• CBrown
    CBrown ✭✭

Hello thanks for the response.

Got the Helper Column going (from the unique ident column) but can't seem to get the New Count working

=COUNTIF($SURGEON:$SURGEON, SURGEON@row,COUNT HELP:COUNT HELP,<COUNT HELP@COUNT HELP))

• Samuel Mueller
    edited 02/29/24

@CBrown

You need brackets around Count help and no Dollar signs. and make sureit is countifs

=COUNTIFS(SURGEON:SURGEON, SURGEON@row, [COUNT HELP]:[COUNT HELP],<[COUNT HELP]@row))

• CBrown
    CBrown ✭✭

Ok, tried that and it's still not working... darn it. I can't figure what syntax is wrong.

Does it make a difference if the auto# column (my unique ident) is NOT is perfect sequential order? over time rows have been dragged up or down depending on the DOS (Date)

=COUNTIFS(SURGEON:SURGEON, SURGEON@row,[COUNT HELP]:[COUNT HELP],<[COUNT HELP]@row))

• Samuel Mueller
    edited 02/29/24

@CBrown this is my fault, don't need that last parentheses

=COUNTIFS(SURGEON:SURGEON, SURGEON@row,[COUNT HELP]:[COUNT HELP],<[COUNT HELP]@row)

The match formula will always be in order, so if you put that formula in count help column, and reference count help, you should be good.

• CBrown
    CBrown ✭✭

ahhhh, go it! boom!

i added +1 at the end, it was showing the first instances as 0

TY very much Samuel!!

• Samuel Mueller

Glad it's working!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!