Indirect drop downs in Smartsheet form/ dynamic view

kenor
kenor
edited 02/29/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Would like to get my form structure that allow for indirect drop down, i.e. I have several countries (Kenya, India etc) with each country having a list of industry processors - and each processor having their own product brands (probably 3-4 product brands). Would like a form that based on the country selected (field 1), allows the next field (field 2) be a drop down of the industry processors in the selected country, and the field 3 be a drop down of the brands from the selected industry processors in field 2.

Appreciate any kind support

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For a form you can do this with a bit of a workaround.

For each option in field 1, create logic which dictates which column is displayed (these would be your field 2 options).

For example, if you have options A, B, C and 3 options for each of these (1-3 for A, 4-6 for B, 7-9 for C) then if option A is selected you have a dropdown column which allows 1-3, if B then the column with options 4-6 is visible etc.

You can then have go further by having the field 3 options as different columns if desired.

In terms of making them more usable you would do a JOIN for the field 2 & 3 columns to get a single value which is more usable for formulas etc.

For example, using the above example:

Where the Field 2 outcome formula is:

=JOIN([Field 2 A]@row:[Field 2 C]@row, "")

Hope this helps give you some ideas, but if you've any problems/questions then let us know.