How are you using data shuttle and Workapps

Mounika
Mounika ✭✭✭
edited 03/08/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi all,

I am kind of new to Smartsheet and exploring data shuttle and work Apps features. Can you please help me with the possible workarounds that can be done using these features. I have seen the articles on both of these features, and trying to understand how people are using these features. Looking forward for the responses.

Thanks in Advance!

Best Answers

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I haven't needed WorkApps yet but I've heard good things.

However, DataShuttle I use everyday for a lot of Uploading and Offloading.

Uploading: I have multiple excel sheets and csv files emailed to me that I use Microsofts PowerAutomate to pull from a file in my email to a OneDrive location. Once they are in that location I have DataShuttle run daily to update or merge data into what I consder a source sheet. I then have other sheets that I can use INDEX MATCH or VLOOKUP formulas in to populate specific cells in that sheet. For Example, I have one team who receives inbound request which sometimes need to be submitted to another team. We take that other teams tracking number and one of the excel sheets thats emailed to me in status updates from there system based off that tracking number. This loops allows my team to consistently receive updates within our own intake sheet. I do this procss with about 4 other systems on this sheet alone!

Offloading: I have a couple sheets that need to be offloaded to a OneDrive location or a SharePoint due to regulatory demands or otherwise. Some people just don't want to come into Smartsheets to look because you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I use the Offload feature so I don't have to manually populate the Sharepoint/OneDrive folders.

Hope this helps!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mounika

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Dakota's excellent advice/answer.

• I use Data Shuttle in many client solutions, so Dropdown lists are kept updated from a master list.
    • WorkApps can be an alternative to Dynamic View because you can share a report without sharing the underlying sheets.
    • WorkApps has a role-based access structure, so it's very flexible.
    • I often use WorkApps in my client solutions, especially with Control Center, because it becomes Portfolio WorkApps.

If you have an Enterprise license, you already have access to WorkApps, so I recommend starting playing around with it.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I haven't needed WorkApps yet but I've heard good things.

However, DataShuttle I use everyday for a lot of Uploading and Offloading.

Uploading: I have multiple excel sheets and csv files emailed to me that I use Microsofts PowerAutomate to pull from a file in my email to a OneDrive location. Once they are in that location I have DataShuttle run daily to update or merge data into what I consder a source sheet. I then have other sheets that I can use INDEX MATCH or VLOOKUP formulas in to populate specific cells in that sheet. For Example, I have one team who receives inbound request which sometimes need to be submitted to another team. We take that other teams tracking number and one of the excel sheets thats emailed to me in status updates from there system based off that tracking number. This loops allows my team to consistently receive updates within our own intake sheet. I do this procss with about 4 other systems on this sheet alone!

Offloading: I have a couple sheets that need to be offloaded to a OneDrive location or a SharePoint due to regulatory demands or otherwise. Some people just don't want to come into Smartsheets to look because you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I use the Offload feature so I don't have to manually populate the Sharepoint/OneDrive folders.

Hope this helps!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mounika

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Dakota's excellent advice/answer.

• I use Data Shuttle in many client solutions, so Dropdown lists are kept updated from a master list.
    • WorkApps can be an alternative to Dynamic View because you can share a report without sharing the underlying sheets.
    • WorkApps has a role-based access structure, so it's very flexible.
    • I often use WorkApps in my client solutions, especially with Control Center, because it becomes Portfolio WorkApps.

If you have an Enterprise license, you already have access to WorkApps, so I recommend starting playing around with it.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.