A way to Formulate status of parent row

Options
Mohammad Sleem
edited 03/04/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello people,

I´ve been wondering if it is possible or there´s a way around it to formulate a cell of a parnet row depending on the children?

For example:

Go to Class In progress

get in the car Done

Drive to school In Progress

Park and go to class Pending

so the thing is, can i formulate the Go to Class status? for example if all children are done then "Done" if not then "In progress" or "Pending".

Answers

• John_Foster
    John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mohammad Sleem,

This is indeed possible. We manage this internally, by setting the sheet up as a project sheet, we then set a column formula to change the status based on the Completion %. This way the parent rows will automatically update as required.

To do this change the view to Gantt View, then click on the settings icon in the right-hand corner of the sheet, but to do this the sheet will need two date fields and a field that can be used to hold a Completion %.

Hope this helps!

John

• Mohammad Sleem
    Options

@John_Foster so basically what you´re saying is that for example, if 100% complete then Done, ifless then in Progress.

This logic. hmm

Thank you!

• John_Foster
    John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mohammad Sleem,

Yes, exactly that, the formula I use is below.

=IF([% Complete]@row = 1, "Completed", IF([% Complete]@row = 0, "Not Started", "In Progress"))

The bit that confused me when I started using this is that 100% = 1 and 50% = 0.5, so the formula uses 0 as not started and 1 as complete, other wise it is in progress.

John

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!