Automated Allocation - based on selected attributes

Hello Smartheads!

I have a pretty interesting use-case.

Columns look like in the screeen below:

E Entry Number - values can duplicate

Desired outcome:

Trigger: Auditor selects her/his user ID in column C Audotor in a row.

Outcome:

After changing one row, the same user ID will be populated in Auditor column, if ENTRY NUMBER IS THE SAME.

Example:

I assume that it would require additional column with auditor id:

1) open for user to appy changes

2) locked with final results

Looking forward to hearing from you!

In case of any questions, please let me know!

Thanks,

Roman

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Romano el Polako

I don't believe there is a way to do this at the moment in one column - this is because I assume you need to both manually select an Auditor (for the initial non-duplicate) as well as have it auto-populate, is that correct?

There currently isn't a workflow that can copy a cell from within the same sheet to another cell based on a criteria. You can automatically assign someone to a row, but we would need specific criteria spelled out in the automation (e.g. the exact Entry Number listed every time).

A formula would need to be in every single cell, so you couldn't both use a formula and manually enter data.

You could potentially have 2 columns:

• Manual entry column
    • and Current column with a formula

This formula column would reference your manual entry column to see if there's a value for the current Entry Number and duplicate it on any rows with that Entry Number.

This is an example formula referencing a "Manual" entry column:

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT([C Auditor Manual Column]:[C Auditor Manual Column], [C Auditor Manual Column]:[C Auditor Manual Column], <> "", [E Entry Number]:[E Entry Number], [E Entry Number]@row), 1), "")

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!