Is there a way to ONLY have one cell unlocked?

Options

Hi all,

I have created a sheet full of formulas that ALL reference one cell. I would like to lock down everything BUT that one cell, so functionally anyone with access could change the reference cell and see the consequence of that change.

I realize that I COULD move this one reference cell into its own column, but before I mess around with my formatting, I thought I'd check to see if this was a possibility.

The formatting of the page is important and it wouldn't translate into a dynamic view.

Thank you!

Meredith

Answers

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Meredith Rhodes

You could have this cell added in Sheet Summary instead and create a column in your sheet which references this field. This way, all your actual sheet columns are locked for edits and only the Sheet Summary field is editable.

Thanks,

Aravind

Reach out for any help on licenses, configuration, or training

• Meredith Rhodes
    Options

Thank you, @AravindGP - that is a clever way to do it.

• Meredith Rhodes
    Meredith Rhodes ✭✭✭
    edited 03/05/24
    Options

What I'm trying to do - visually.

The top row in the 'Responsible Practice' column is a public clinical trial registry identifier. I've locked all other columns - but if I keep it formatted this way, I can't find a way to lock all but the top cell in the 'Responsible Practice' column. I'm hopeful that I can share what I'm making with people unfamiliar with smartsheet and simply say 'change the NCT Number'.

Maybe I can lock the column and make a form that changes this cell?

• AravindGP
    AravindGP ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Meredith,

Thanks for the screenshot. It is much clearer now. A form will not work. You can lock all the other rows, except for the row which contains the number. This way, your editors will only be able to edit the number in row# 1

Thanks,

Aravind

Reach out for any help on licenses, configuration, or training

• Meredith Rhodes
    Options

OOOOOHHHHH, I see that now. I haven't locked a row before, obviously. Thank you for this direction.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!