Template for repeat tasks

Options

We have a one Smartsheet for a list of different type of training events we run throughout the year with associated tasks.

We have templates at the very bottom of the smartsheet, to copy and paste, for different type of events and the associated tasks.

Is there a way to save these templates and also have certain tasks to trigger from the date of creation?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @The Time Tamer,

Ah I think I may have misunderstood your original post. You want to retain all your tasks and gants in your master events sheet, and currently your templates are at the bottom of the master events sheet. You want to trigger certain tasks when a new event is c/p from your template (bottom of sheet) into the above main master event sheet.

Would the following be helpful?

• Create a helper checkbox column titled "template?". Tick the rows (bottom of sheet) that are your templates.
    • Setup an automation where when a the "template?" changes to unchecked, trigger xyz tasks (e.g. send customized alert, change cell value, record a date etc).

Instead of having trigger as the date of creation, the automation will run when someone unchecks the "template?" column and saves the sheet. You can modify however you like, for example instead of "template?" you could have it the column as "new project?" and have automation run when column is checked.

Cheers,

Ric

Answers

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @The Time Tamer,

Love the username btw :) I would recommend creating your own template sets and save it into your workspace. More info here:

You can carry-over your existing workflow and alerts if you choose to. You can also create an automation where when you create the sheet, populate a cell with today's date. The changes to that cell 'today's date' automation can then trigger your tasks of interest.

Cheers,

Ric

• The Time Tamer
    Options

Thanks @Ric T I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Can I clarify?

I'm not wanting to create a new sheet for each new event. I have one worksheet with tasks and gant for all events.

Are you suggesting that I create a template in a sheet, then copy and past into the master events sheet?

• Ric T
    Ric T ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @The Time Tamer,

Ah I think I may have misunderstood your original post. You want to retain all your tasks and gants in your master events sheet, and currently your templates are at the bottom of the master events sheet. You want to trigger certain tasks when a new event is c/p from your template (bottom of sheet) into the above main master event sheet.

Would the following be helpful?

• Create a helper checkbox column titled "template?". Tick the rows (bottom of sheet) that are your templates.
    • Setup an automation where when a the "template?" changes to unchecked, trigger xyz tasks (e.g. send customized alert, change cell value, record a date etc).

Instead of having trigger as the date of creation, the automation will run when someone unchecks the "template?" column and saves the sheet. You can modify however you like, for example instead of "template?" you could have it the column as "new project?" and have automation run when column is checked.

Cheers,

Ric