Report to Pull In Select Rows From Another Sheet

danone
danone
edited 03/08/24 in Formulas and Functions

I would like to create a report that provides an overview of important items that I am tracking or otherwise care about so I can see all upcoming important items in one place. These items may come from my own sheets or from sheets owned by others. I would like some way of marking the handful of entries out of the hundreds that should show up in this summary. On my own sheets, I added a "milestone" check box and filter by that, however I cannot modify others' sheets with my own fields and therefore don't have a good way of filtering out the items I care about.

How can I filter sheets not owned by me according to my own criteria that is not an active field in the sheet, or how else can I accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you have 0 control over the sheets you don't own, I'd say the best bet you have is to get used to building with multiple filter groups. By doing this, you can pull data from multiple inconsistent sheets based on their own separate criteria by creating a filter group per sheet and using the conditional OR. Per my quick screenshot below, assume the first sheet is the sheet you own and you use your own column as a filter. But on the other sheet, they don't have "Parent?" so instead you filter that sheet by start/end dates... and so on. Depending on the nature of your sources, I've seen some of these filter group report go a little bonkers, but once you have the logic set up it will work nice!

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• I'm not sure I'm following the suggestion here. How would filtering by dates allow me to determine "parent"? In my example, the non-owned sheets have hundreds of line items and there are a select few that I want to track for myself. It's not based on any data that's in those entries, they are just milestones that are important to me.

• Hi @danone

There isn't a way to manually select individual rows across sheets for a Report without using a filter of some kind. You'll need to have something that identifies the special rows that you want to track as milestones in order to filter by that data. As Jason mentioned, that could be based on a date, or it containing specific text, but there needs to be a data point to identify it.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!