Requesting help reporting top three vendors for three locations based on a common review database

Options
2»

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Apologies for the delayed responses. Busy busy.

You would use the ranking system in your source sheet, but you would use a COLLECT function in the second portion of the RANKAVG function to grab the Average Review range based on rows that have a matching location.

=IFERROR(RANKAVG([Average Review]@row, COLLECT([Average Review]:[Average Review], Location:Location, @cell = Location@row), 0), "Unranked")

Then in your metrics sheet you would need three helper columns. One for each of the three highest ranks. You would use a LARGE/COLLECT combo to pull in the 1st - 3rd largest ranks on from the source sheet:

=LARGE(COLLECT({Source Sheet Rank Column}, {Source Sheet Location Column}, @cell = Location@row, {Source Sheet Category Column}, HAS(@cell, Primary@row)), 1)

Change the 1 at the end to a 2 and then a 3 for the second and third largest. This would go in every row on your metrics sheet.

Then to populate the vendors, you would use a JOIN/COLLECT combo along the lines of:

=JOIN(COLLECT({Source Sheet Vendor Column}, {Source Sheet Rank Column}, @cell = [1st Rank]@row, {Source Sheet Location Column}, @cell = Location@row, {Source Sheet Category Column}, HAS(@cell, Primary@row)), ", ")

• Erik D
    Erik D ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome, could RANKEQ(COLLECT()) or RANKAVG(COLLECT()) solve this for me?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you update the RANKAVG function in the source sheet to include the COLLECT function as indicated at the top of my last post?

• Erik D
    Erik D ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome, no worries on the delay. Same here, I've been out of pocket traveling for work.

Thank you so much for your reply. I implemented what you suggested with some minor changes (due to our Approved Locations column being multiselect for include multiple locations):

On the Vendor Master List sheet, I made three rank columns (one for each location)

=IFERROR(RANKAVG([Average Review]@row, COLLECT([Average Review]:[Average Review], [Approved Locations (Internal)]:[Approved Locations (Internal)], HAS(@cell, [Location C Rank]@row)), 0), "Not Approved")

On the Vendor Reviews Metrics sheet, I did as you suggested with three helper and reporting columns:

Helper First column formula: =IFERROR(SMALL(COLLECT({Vendor Master List - Location A Rank}, {Vendor Master List - Approved Locations}, HAS(@cell, $Location@row), {Vendor Master List - Type}, HAS(@cell, $Primary@row)), 1), "")

Location First column formula: =JOIN(COLLECT({Vendor Master List - Company Name}, {Vendor Master List - Location A Rank}, @cell = [Helper First]@row, {Vendor Master List - Approved Locations}, HAS(@cell, Location@row), {Vendor Master List - Type}, HAS(@cell, Primary@row)), ", ")

Ideally I wouldn't have those extra three columns on the Vendor Master List, but it seems to be working. Next step is to get this on a dashboard, but I should be able to figure that out. Thank you so much for your help!

• Erik D
    Erik D ✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome, I added some additional test reviews to test the new functions.

• After adding the "Carson" entry which is only approved for Location A, it's showing up as a top ranked vendor for Location B.
    • Additionally Location A Rank is correctly averaging the tied review average to yield 1.5; however, for Location B (where Carson shouldn't be showing up at all) it's not averaging the top scores and showing both Atlas Po- and Carson as #1s

I've tried to run additional tests (e.g. adding additional reviews for Carson) which seems to fix the problem. I'm just not sure if this is a Smartsheet refresh issue or something wrong with the formulas.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!