Reference 2 columns in another sheet and total up a 3rd column

Jessica Krueger
Jessica Krueger ✭✭✭
edited 03/12/24 in Formulas and Functions

I need to look for keywords in specific columns of another sheet (Assets Needed & Year), and if those parameters are found, take the value in the 3rd column (Actual Effort) and add them up.

I can get it to calculate if I have 1 parameter, but when I add the 2nd I get an #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET message.

Here's the formula I'm using:

=SUMIFS({Assets Needed}, "LMS: Addition", {Year}, "2024", {Actual Effort})

Best Answer

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Jessica Krueger

The syntax you're using for the SUMIFS isn't correct for the SUMIFS function. It's syntax is

=SUMIFS({range to be summed}, {range1}, criteria 1, {range2}, criteria2, etc). Also, enclosing your numeric year in quotes will make smartsheet believe it is a textstring, not numeric. Remove the quotes

=SUMIFS({Actual Effort},{Assets Needed}, "LMS: Addition", {Year}, 2024)

Will this work for you?

Kelly

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Jessica Krueger

The syntax you're using for the SUMIFS isn't correct for the SUMIFS function. It's syntax is

=SUMIFS({range to be summed}, {range1}, criteria 1, {range2}, criteria2, etc). Also, enclosing your numeric year in quotes will make smartsheet believe it is a textstring, not numeric. Remove the quotes

=SUMIFS({Actual Effort},{Assets Needed}, "LMS: Addition", {Year}, 2024)

Will this work for you?

Kelly

• Yes! It worked. I should've just come here first. I've been fighting with it for hours. Thank you so much!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!