How to parse out part of a repeated phrase within a cell

I have created a new column called "Workstreams" that has a "CONTAINS" formula @row that parses workstream names out of a "tags" column. (The cell in that row and in that tag column has multiple tags that the CONTAIN formula is parsing into my Workstreams column.)

It works great until one of my workstream tag names is also PART of a name for other tags in that same cell. So, I need the workstream "Exxon" but not only does that column have "Exxon," it has "Exxon," "Exxon Weekly Report," "Exxon Team," and "Exxon Party."

I need a way to parse out "Exxon" so when I run a Workstream report the other "Exxon Weekly Report" etc. don't show up. I need it to return a filter on Exxon and leave out the other Exxon-tags. I tried hyphenating, but it still doesn't work. Help! :-)

Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭

Just use column@row="Exxon" Instead of CONTAINS("Exxon",column@row)

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try HAS instead of CONTAINS. HAS is specifically for the situation you describe - finding one of many options in a multi-select cell but not relying on the string being unique.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @kfb,

Could you please add a screenshot of your sheet after removing any sensitive data? This will help us create the exact formula for you.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!