Desktop App Update

Options
rlamontagne
edited 03/15/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I use the Smartsheet desktop app which has been a great experience. When I launch the app now, I see a prompt saying there is a new version available yet there is no option to update the instance of the desktop app I'm using now. There is no "Check for Updates" option in any of the desktop app menu's.

How do we apply the desktop app update?

Tags:

Best Answer

• rlamontagne
    edited 03/15/24 Answer ✓
    Options

That worked. When I closed the app, I did not realize it was still open in my tray as a hidden icon (up arrow near the Window OS clock). Once I "Quit" the app from the tray the update was applied.

My update notification was triggered via Windows Notifications and not the app notification.

Also, I had the app pinned to my Taskbar and on update the pinned icon was removed. I had to relaunch the app from the start menu and re-pin the icon to my Taskbar.

This is an fyi incase the app could be updated in place w/o having to pin to the taskbar again.

Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @rlamontagne

When an update is available, the desktop app should prompt you to update now or update on restart.

If you did not see that prompt or click on an option, the app will update on a restart. Can you try exiting out of it, then reopening the app?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• rlamontagne
    edited 03/15/24 Answer ✓
    Options

That worked. When I closed the app, I did not realize it was still open in my tray as a hidden icon (up arrow near the Window OS clock). Once I "Quit" the app from the tray the update was applied.

My update notification was triggered via Windows Notifications and not the app notification.

Also, I had the app pinned to my Taskbar and on update the pinned icon was removed. I had to relaunch the app from the start menu and re-pin the icon to my Taskbar.

This is an fyi incase the app could be updated in place w/o having to pin to the taskbar again.

Thanks for the help!