Formula for Scoring a Project (with Weights)

Hello!

I am looking to give my projects a score, based on 8 different options. In one column I have a multi-select to pick from those 8 criteria and then I want to have a column to give a numerical score for the project based on how many of the 8 criteria are selected. One problem is I want to make two of the criteria worth 3 points while are others are 1. I am having trouble with the weighting piece of it. Anyone have experience with this?

Best Answer

• Erica Reeves
    Erica Reeves ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the guidance! I was actually able to solve it with a coworker's advice of using the following...

=SUM(COUNTM([Scoring Criteria]@row) + IF(CONTAINS("aligns to OKR", [Scoring Criteria]@row), 2, 0) + IF(CONTAINS("student success", [Scoring Criteria]@row), 2, 0))

Have a great day!

Answers

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll want to check out the HAS() function. Try something like...

= if(has(DROPDOWN@row,"Criteria 1"),1,0) + if(has(DROPDOWN@row,"Criteria 2"),1,0) + ..... + if(has(DROPDOWN@row,"Criteria 8"),1,0)

Swap out the bolded "1" for whatever weight each needs.

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• Erica Reeves
    Erica Reeves ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the guidance! I was actually able to solve it with a coworker's advice of using the following...

=SUM(COUNTM([Scoring Criteria]@row) + IF(CONTAINS("aligns to OKR", [Scoring Criteria]@row), 2, 0) + IF(CONTAINS("student success", [Scoring Criteria]@row), 2, 0))

Have a great day!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!