Daisy Chain IF(ISBLANK for to meet conditions for PDF Generation

Hello All!

Not sure how well I'll explain this... I'm trying to use the PDF generation tool within S.S. and the way its structured/dedicated towards a individual row. I created a template to try and utilize the way it's structured and how I need it to function, however I'm having some road blocks with what the formula needs to gather based on the children rows.. The top row is my dedicate row which will generate the PDF and then I created additional columns to capture the information in the children rows.

My problem is here. I need the column "Unit Style 1" to grab the first number in the column "Count of Unit Type" Which I used with this formula..

=IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]2), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]3), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]4), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]5), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]6), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]7), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]8), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]9), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]10), "", [Count of Unit Type]10), [Count of Unit Type]9), [Count of Unit Type]8), [Count of Unit Type]7), [Count of Unit Type]6), [Count of Unit Type]5), [Count of Unit Type]4), [Count of Unit Type]3), [Count of Unit Type]2).

Now for column "Unit Type 2" I used this formula:

=IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]2), IF(ISBLANK([Unit Style 1]1), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]4), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]5), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]6), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]7), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]8), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]9), IF(ISBLANK([Count of Unit Type]10), "", [Count of Unit Type]10), [Count of Unit Type]9), [Count of Unit Type]8), [Count of Unit Type]7), [Count of Unit Type]6), [Count of Unit Type]5), [Count of Unit Type]4), [Unit Style 1]1), [Count of Unit Type]3)

This will pick up the value in cell#3 in column "Count of Unit Type". However if this cell was another cell further down the column that has a value I need it to capture that value in chronological order. "Unit Style 1" is capturing already capturing the first value it sees.. I need the second column to move to the next value it sees. I have 10 columns that need work simultaneously together to check the previous columns for values and "Count of Unit Types" to determine which order it needs to grab the values.

Does that make sense?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would use something along the lines of

=IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT(CHILDREN([Count of Unit Type]@row), CHILDREN([Count of Unit Type]@row), @cell <> ""), 1), "")

Just change the 1 at the end to a 2 to pull in the second, 3 to pull in the third, so on and so forth.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!