COUNTIFS ASSISTANCE

I want to count the number of "training" for Elter Wilson on 3/6/24. What would the COUNTIF statement look like? Also what if I had a 4th criteria of Pass? I am creating a results report so need to reference this other sheet.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Jen_Gray

I see you marked Paul's response as not answering your question. He's correct that a COUNTIFS with an S is the way to go! The link above has examples of how to built it out.

This is an example formula in your case:

=COUNTIFS({Training Column}, "Training", {Representative Column}, "Elter Wilson", {Date Column}, DATE(2024, 03, 06))

Keep in mind each {range} is one you will need to manually create by finding the correct column to reference as you build the formula. See: Cross-sheet formulas

On a side note, it may be easier to create a Report to get this data. Your Report filter would be each of your criteria (Training & Date) and then you could GROUP by the Representative and use the SUMMARY feature to count how many rows appear in that sheet. Reports with one level of Grouping and Summary can be used for charts. Here's a free webinar with more information: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would use a COUNTIFS with the "S" on the end to have multiple range/criteria sets.

There are some samples at the bottom of this article:

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Jen_Gray

I see you marked Paul's response as not answering your question. He's correct that a COUNTIFS with an S is the way to go! The link above has examples of how to built it out.

This is an example formula in your case:

=COUNTIFS({Training Column}, "Training", {Representative Column}, "Elter Wilson", {Date Column}, DATE(2024, 03, 06))

Keep in mind each {range} is one you will need to manually create by finding the correct column to reference as you build the formula. See: Cross-sheet formulas

On a side note, it may be easier to create a Report to get this data. Your Report filter would be each of your criteria (Training & Date) and then you could GROUP by the Representative and use the SUMMARY feature to count how many rows appear in that sheet. Reports with one level of Grouping and Summary can be used for charts. Here's a free webinar with more information: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!