Formula to pull metrics for previous month

I currently have a formula that pulls metrics into a sheet for a dashboard widget, it currently pulls the data if the month in the month column is the current month. I need it to pull the metrics for the previous month but I can't get it to work. What am I missing? I tried adding a -1 behind the MONTH(TODAY())-1 but that didn't work.

=IFERROR(SUMIFS({NE Peaking OPG.1 Monthly}, {NE Peaking Month} = MONTH(TODAY()), {NE Peaking Year} = YEAR(TODAY())), "0")

Answers

• What error is it giving you if you remove the "IFERROR" catch? I tested a couple configurations and doing:

=MONTH(TODAY()) resulted in the value "3"

and

=MONTH(TODAY())-1 resulted in the value "2"

I think could be the issue is the SUMIFS syntax... I think you need to adjust it to match the suggested:

So splitting the formula from:

=IFERROR(SUMIFS({NE Peaking OPG.1 Monthly}, {NE Peaking Month} = MONTH(TODAY()), {NE Peaking Year} = YEAR(TODAY())), "0")

to:

=IFERROR(SUMIFS({NE Peaking OPG.1 Monthly}, {NE Peaking Month}, =MONTH(TODAY()), {NE Peaking Year}, =YEAR(TODAY())), "0")

• I removed the IF ERROR so now my formula looks like this.

=(SUMIFS({MD Peaking OPG.1 Monthly}, {MD Peaking Month} = MONTH(TODAY()) - 1, {MD Peaking Year} = YEAR(TODAY())))

but now I get invalid operation error.

The formula you suggested didn't look different than what I had other than 2 additional commas, is that correct?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/20/24

Try this:

=SUMIFS({NE Peaking OPG.1 Monthly}, {NE Peaking Month}, @cell = MONTH(TODAY()) + IF(MONTH(TODAY()) = 1, 11, -1), {NE Peaking Year}, @cell = YEAR(TODAY()) - IF(MONTH(TODAY()) = 1, 1, 0))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• I'm not getting an error with that formula however it's returning a zero every time which isn't correct. Just to confirm - this formula should pull metrics for the previous month current year?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How exactly are you populating the month and year columns in the source sheet?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Every month each plant enters their metrics for the previous month using a web form which populates "Ops PI Data Sheet".

Each plant has a "Station Trends" sheet that is populated using an automated workflow on the "Ops PI Data Sheet" that tells it to copy the row to the correct plant's "Station Trends" sheet.

So the formula in question references the plant "Station Trends" sheet.

The final product we are trying to reach is a dashboard that has widgets for each plant, summarizing the previous month's data. I can share the workspace with you if that would help?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There's the problem. You are using text values instead of numbers for the months. You can't subtract a number from a text value. My suggestion would be to either switch the Month column to be numbers or use a helper column with a formula to output a number based on the Month selection.

10xViz.com

• what would that helper column look like?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a text/number column with a nested IF statement to output the month number based on the text in the month selection column.

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!