Automation using formula field for conditional logic does not run

Options
Yavor Bidzhov
Yavor Bidzhov ✭✭✭
edited 03/21/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello, I have a few complex workflows where the approvals can go up to 4 people. Each approval level is set up as a separate automation and it triggers when the previous approval field becomes "Approved". the level of each case can be from 0 to 4 and that is determined based on a financial impact. I have an IF statement in a column which outputs numbers from 0 to 4. I use this column for Conditions to determine if an Approval request should trigger onto the next level or it should stop at its current one. I have tried all options in the conditional logic menu such as "is one of" ,"is not one of", "is equal to", "contains" etc... but the workflows either ignore the conditions or just straight up don't trigger.

Few Examples below

This one is supposed to prevent all 0s from going to Level1 but it doesn't.

this one is supposed to trigger anything above Level 1 and stop Level 1s from progressing onward, but it does not. And yes have tried to play around with "greater than" options in both cases, also tried with "is one of" and I have tried with negative logic.

I have been at this all day and at this point I am losing hope :D

please help

Tags:

Answers

• John_Foster
    John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Yavor Bidzhov,

I am unsure why this is not working for you, I have similar logic for automation which seems to work. One thing you could try is creating a checkbox column for each level of approval and using a formula to check or uncheck them, then basing the automation on whether the checkbox is checked.

The downside with that is the need for an additional column per approval level.

Thanks,

John

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!