Calculate the fiscal weeks between two dates

Amanda MedinaIW
edited 03/22/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

I am trying to get a count of active employees for each fiscal week between two dates. Every week the count fluctuates, and I would like to create a chart to track the fluctuations. I have a project intake sheet that has start date, complete date, Techs Assigned, and customer. The projects last multiple weeks. How would I capture the number of techs assigned to a customer for FW1, FW2 etc in a way that would enable me to create a chart? Thank you in advance!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide some screenshots for context?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/22/24

Hi @Amanda MedinaIW , If I understand correctly you would like a table that shows fiscal weeks down the left side and a count of the number of techs assigned. From this table you could chart the trend. Does this sound right? It looks like you already have a sheet that contains the start and complete date and a multiselect contact column that contains one or more techs assigned.

To your existing sheet, I would add a column (Let's call it Tech Count) with a formula that calculates the number of Techs assigned to the project. This could look like:

= COUNTM([Techs Assigned])

Then I would create a new sheet and create the following columns:

1) Fiscal Week (this is a text/number field where you name each FW... eg, "FW1", "FW2"... )

2) First Date of the fiscal week (once you put the first one in, you could create a formula for each row below that adds 7 to the prior date)

3) Last Date of the fiscal week ( This is = [First Date]@row+6)

4) Count of Techs. For this you would use cross-sheet references with the SUM and COLLECT functions. It would look something like:

=SUM(COLLECT({Tech Count column from main sheet},{Start Date column from main sheet},@cell>=[First Date]@row, {Start Date column from main sheet},@cell<=[Last Date]@row) + SUM(COLLECT({Tech Count column from main sheet},{Start Date column from main sheet},@cell<=[First Date]@row, {Complete Date column from main sheet},@cell>=[First Date]@row)

This will sum up the number of techs for two scenarios:

1) Projects that were started during the week (Doesn't matter when they end)

2) Projects that were started before the beginning of the week, but haven't been completed before the week

I hope I've covered the relevant situation for you.

Be well

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• Thank you Scott!

All good until I came to the formula. It gives me Invalid Operation:

=SUM(COLLECT({Project Intake Sheet Range 1}, {Project Intake Sheet Range 2}, @cell >= [First Date]@row, {Project Intake Sheet Range 2}, @cell <= [Last Date]@row) + SUM(COLLECT({Project Intake Sheet Range 1}, {Project Intake Sheet Range 2}, @cell <= [First Date]@row, {Project Intake Sheet Range 3}, @cell >= [First Date]@row)))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try this formula instead:

=SUMIFS({Count Column}, {Start Date}, @cell<= [Last Date]@row, {End Date}, @cell>= [First Date]@row)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!