Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Formatting to work on rows like they do on columns

Richard
Richard ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi

Is it possible to set conditional formatting on rows like it is for columns, or is there a workaround?

Thanks

Cheers

Richard

Comments

• Hi Richard,

For my own edification, how are you wanting a row specific conditional formatting rule to work? Would you want specific rows to be set as the conditional formatting rules?

"If x conditions are met then apply this format to rows 1-30."

Or are you wanting a different functionality?

• Richard
    Richard ✭✭✭✭✭

If a cell has a value less than zero, turn background red. To apply to a row of cells.  It's a row that is the result of the rows above being row1 - row2 = row3. It is row3 that I need to apply this conditional formatting to. Thanks

• You can define custom criteria to set your rule to turn the entire row background red when a cell in a specific column is less than zero. More info on this in the Conditional Formatting help article.

I attached a screenshot of how this rule looks in my sheet using a column titled Effort.

Let me know if you have any questions or this wasn't what you were looking for.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.34.40 AM.png

• Richard
    Richard ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi - Sorry, it was just to turn that particular cell red that had gone minus, not the entire row. it was to apply to all cells in that row. Thanks

• Ah, now I see what you're saying.

This type of functionality can be achieved with multiple conditional formatting rules—one for each cell in the column that you want to have turn red.

Create one rule that will apply format only to a specific column (not the entire row) and then clone the rule. Change the column that the formatting is applied to—rinse and repeat until you have a rule for each of your columns.

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 2.00.08 PM.png

• Richard
    Richard ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, but I have 50+ columns  to apply to :) and I don't particularly want the rule applied to other cells in the columns. I'm thinking that what you say is my only option? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.