Drop Down List (Report editing) not validating 00

KenR
KenR ✭✭
edited 03/26/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Due to the lack of a Time Data Type I am using the Drop-Down field type for a preset selections of quarter hours (00, 15, 30, 45). The selection process on the form and sheet handles this 20th century work-around fine. However, when editing a row in the report I get the error, "This column is restricted to dropdown values." SS appears to be confusing text and numbers again. Unfortunately, editing from a report is critical for this project.

I've tried adding a colon to the choices (:00, :15, :30, :45), but this slows down data entry and visually the colon appears unnecessary. Without the colon, typing 0,1,3,4 places the selection conveniently at hand. With the semi-colon, it takes 2 hands and 3 keystrokes (shift+; and the number) - it's almost as slow as using the mouse to select a drop-down option.

Any ideas on how to work around this?

Project description: The User is entering beginning and ending times for jobs mostly through forms but some high-volume folks enter directly to the data sheet. A second step requires updates to be made from reports. Having a list of 96 choices for hours and minutes combined (7:00, 7:15, 7:30 etc) is not a good solution. I broke up the hours and minutes so now I have selections of 12 (hour options), 4 (minute options) and 2 (AM or PM). The radio buttons on the form allow the data entry for these 3 columns to go smoothly. Aside from data entry errors on AM & PM selections, the only hiccup is editing the minutes on the report.

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KenR I have not heard of an issue where SS will auto reconfigure column types (a common issue in excel).

I would be happy to assist, if you would like to add in some screenshots (of your column configuration, or more information regarding your workflow.

Smartsheet Community Champion and Ambassador

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• KenR
    KenR ✭✭
    edited 03/26/24

Hi Colleen, I appreciate the help. One correction to my post - I'm using a drop-down field type, not text/number - I'll go back and correct this. Also, I don't think SS is reconfiguring column types rather it appears confused by "00" in the data validation - like one side of the validation sees text and the other a number.

Here's a few screen shots of the column configuration and error