Formula Question - Blank Needed for a Write-in Value

Hi All,

I'm trying to write a formula that will return a blank value (or empty cell) that I can add a "write-in" value - which will be different each time the blank occurs. Is there a way to do this, or does the blank that I'm asking for ultimately have to be "blank"?

=IF([Alpha-3 Code]@row = "Other", "", IFERROR(VLOOKUP([Alpha-3 Code]@row, {Country Codes Alpha-2 & Alpha-3 Range 1}, 2, false), ""))

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers

@Seatora The only way to do this, and use a column formula, is to create a second, helper column where the write in value goes. so the formula would be like this

=IF([Alpha-3 Code]@row = "Other", [helpercolumn]@row, IFERROR(VLOOKUP([Alpha-3 Code]@row, {Country Codes Alpha-2 & Alpha-3 Range 1}, 2, false), ""))

• DKazatsky2
    DKazatsky2 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Seatora,

If you mean you want to go back into that cell and add in the "write-in" value, you can't do that as you would overwrite the formula (in fact, it won't let you if it's a column formula).

One work around might be to put the write-in value in a separate cell and reference that in the cases where it would have been black. It will still be blank until you add data to the other cell. Just a thought - untested.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!