How can I create separate forms that auto-populate information into one row and sheet?

Options
mballe
mballe ✭✭
edited 04/05/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a "company data" smartsheet where all of our information lives. I have one form that fills out this form with all pertinent information.

I need to create a second form that requests changes to any given row and a third form that will request a report from me for that specific row.

I would like these to connect based on a number given to each row by our system.

Answers

• Doin_Smart_sheet
    Options

I'm not sure if this will work for you depending on how you're setting up the sheets but ill post an flurry of ideas like wet noodles and if any ideas stick then AWESOME. hopefully some of the ideas will aid you in the pursuit of your creation. suggestion of utilizing the Auto Number column and presetting the count, this could at least generate a reference number for the request/entry we have one used for a ticketing system. it's on a form that takes the pertinent information then goes to a sheet that generates the auto number, after this is a set automation to send info to master sheet. That way if the master sheet fills it won't fail on providing sequential numbers, or stop taking entries when the master is full, it will just continue to stack in the auto number generator sheet until we create a master (2) sheet and change the migration automation. this will help tag an ID to the row that won't change as you apply filters. on the master sheet is set up with an automation to notify via email of the entry, now that the form entry submitted to the auto number sheet generated a number it will send back an email with certain cells including the ticket number. Selecting the send response on submission will send a request but since it hasn't landed on the sheet, so it won't provide the ticket number in the response, we disabled this feature in the form to avoid confusion. that way after each submission the submitter will receive a pre-generated email suppling the auto generated number. for this to work we created a submitter email(contact) column that is hidden and works with automation, the form users if they don't clear browser cache and cookies will have the easiest submissions after their first send as it will remember their entries. I would then suggest another form that requests changes you could create a sheet that has a status on change requests with a form having an entry to provide the auto number, you could combine the sheets using report then have chosen columns show that has filters to input the requests at the top. have a checkmark set on your request sheet that has automations set to migrate to a trash sheet. that way after you honor or deny the request it will also remove from the report and not over crowed what you see. being through the report with combined sheets would also allow you to complete changes from the report that would update to the master you have created. also having the report would allow you to add in other master sheets if current master fills allowing you to access all the information in one place. for the report you could have the same system possibly on the same sheet in the same form you can use logic on the form so that if type of request is "changes" then they answer a, b, c. logic if it's a report request then answer A,B,C. Make the generated number a required field with note on the form that states request will not be completed if proper number not provided. this would allow the same migrate sheet function to remove after you sent report. if using the contact column for submitter email that's on the form you could then create automations to send a report or set specific group to send to. Sorry for all the wet noodles I hope a few sticks and any of the ideas aid you in your journey.

• Doin_Smart_sheet
    Options

The above option is only if you don't have dynamic view premium, i did get to play on dynamic views for 6 days then my access was removed :( because it's unfortunately not free, but if you have dynamic view i would look into that Aswell, dynamic View allows you to set rights preset for certain users to allow them to see only a preset amount of information, dynamic view also allows them to make changes to cells in the display, you can make them read only in the display panel allowing only certain fields to be edited and it will also allow for new entries and works much like the form when it is used allows for logics Aswell.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @mballe

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend using the form as a starting point and then using the update request feature.

Another option would be to have the forms add data to different sheets and then collect it all using cross-sheet formulas in the main sheet using an ID or row number.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• mballe
    mballe ✭✭
    Options

We ended up creating a separate sheet and form to solve this problem.

Thanks guys!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@mballe

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.