Easy way to copy a nested row into the same sheet

Options

Hello,

I'm trying to create a workflow for one of our users to check off when making a new hire, and then when it's done, it'll get moved to an archive.

The issue I'm running into is that I can't easily make a template for the users to copy when utilizing the sheet. I want users to be able to stay in this one sheet to accomplish what they need.

I tried making an automation where I put the template on the archive sheet, and have it copy that template when a new row is added, but the automation only copies the row that was added, not the existing row in the sheet.

Is there any process I can make to just copy a nested row without expanding everything, or even utilizing a companion sheet?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Tyler Pasquarella

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you elaborate and share some screenshots? (Please delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing.) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tyler Pasquarella
    Options

So I have this 'template' set up at the top of the sheet that will contain every position we have, and the access they need. Because this will consist of many many rows, Expanding the entire nest to copy it each time would be untenable.

I'm trying to copy the entire nested row somehow so that when someone goes to use this, they can copy the template and replace it with the employee's name and fill out the checklist under the appropriate position, which will then create a pdf.

I've even tried making a 'companion' sheet to see if I can trigger a workflow to copy a template from that sheet to this one, but that didn't work either. As Smartsheet only copies the row that was added, not a pre-existing row to another sheet.

My goal is to make it so that a user using the 'New Hire Checklist' sheet can copy the templated employee to create and track new ones. I don't want them to have to go to another sheet and manually copy the template over every time.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tyler Pasquarella

There are multiple ways to structure it, and I've developed many different solutions for clients. The main thing to think about is having something trigger the Parent row to copy, and then everything else will be included.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tyler Pasquarella
    Options

But is there a way to do that from the main sheet to trigger the parent row of the companion sheet to copy the template over?

• Tyler Pasquarella
    Options

I've figured out a way to accomplish this.

I have an automation that when a checkbox is checked, it copies the row to the companion sheet.

The companion sheet has an automation that will then uncheck the box, and another automation to move the row to the existing sheet, both trigger when a row is added.

Pretty convoluted, but it works.

Do you know if there's ever going to be functionality to just copy the entire nest of rows instead of doing all of these rules?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/02/24
    Options

@Tyler Pasquarella

Excellent!

That's similar to how I've done it in some solutions.

No, I don't have any inside information to share about any improvements to that feature.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!