Linking Multiple Sheets

Katie Lafferty
Katie Lafferty ✭✭✭
edited 04/04/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have 2 sheets that I want to connect:

(1st) sheet is a ROW Opening Permit (Permit # is auto-generated, ie. 1049).

(2nd) sheet is an Inspection Submissions (Inspection # is auto-generated, ie. INSP-3, INSP-13). There is a column in the Inspection Submissions Sheet where we manually add related Permit #s to create a unique ID in both sheets.

I have created a (3rd) sheet Inspection Lookup by Permit # where I plug in Permit # at top and all the matching Permit data populates at top half of sheet & the related Inspection Permit #s appear below that (see attached). I can't get the rows for Inspections to list below (keep in mind there could be multiple inspections).

Also, in this Inspection Lookup sheet, is there a way to include the PDF generated in the 'Inspection Submissions' sheet using Generate Document?

I have also tried Reports, Data Mesh and can't seem to accomplish what I want. Help! any ideas?

This may be complicated enough that it's beyond this question posting, but wasn't sure.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Katie Lafferty

I hope you're well and safe!

You can collect the permit number together, but not the PDF, at least not if you don't add the URLs for them in a separate cell/column.

We could use the JOIN COLLECT combination to collect them.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you Andree,

How would I add URLs to the Inspection Submission page? Do I have to manually copy/paste that URL into a column after every time I Generate Document? I'll play with JOIN/COLLECT. Thanks again

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Katie Lafferty

You must add them to an online storage service to ensure they are accessible and then copy that link.

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• i can provide online storage service. but if i understand correctly, that process has to be done after every permit is entered by staff. i want to set this up and walk away. staff will never do those steps. it needs to be fully automated.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/04/24

@Katie Lafferty

Automating it using a 3rd-party service or the Smartsheet API might be possible.

Another option, and I just did this for a client, is to have a directory. They can see the document ID and then look it up in the directory.

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!