Is there a way to keep a checkbox from being checked if a column is empty?

TamiR
TamiR âś­
edited 04/09/24 in Formulas and Functions

Using Smartsheet to manage action items. I'm trying to set a rule that if the status column has not been updated then then it cannot be checked as complete. So, basically I'd like the "Completed" checkbox column to be locked until the Status Update column has been populated.

Answers

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

HI @TamiR , I am not aware of a way to do this. You could, however, use conditional formatting to signal to the user whether it can or cannot be checked, or use another column to "flag" if the checkbox was checked incorrectly (using if() conditions). You could also use an automation to "uncheck" the checkbox if it was checked when certain conditions were or were not met. Not exactly what you are looking for, but one of these may work for you.

Be well,

- Scott

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• Andrea_Thompson
    Andrea_Thompson âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

There is an automation for setting conditions that would lock or unlock rows. Not sure if that would help since it would be the entire row.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!