Task Details Alternative?

Options

We're switching over from Asana where you can click into a task to see more details - this seems to be a basic function of every other PM tool platform.

Smartsheet seems to be missing that. It looks like the only options are

• to add another column to serve as the home for task details - this feels clunky because if the details are long, it expands the width of the row and makes things look non uniform
  • to use the conversations panel

any other alternatives that we're not seeing?

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @chlod24

Another option could be to keep the task details somewhere else (other sheet, word doc on a shared file, etc). Then in that second column, hyper link over to that file. The extra value you get here is that all tasks across all projects would be aiming at 1 source. So if you had to make an edit to the task details, you'd only have to make it in one place.

Also, I assume we're talking about tasks running down a column like a traditional Project Plan. If you have a Master Tracker setup with Projects lists down a column and tasks running left to right, then you could add descriptions into the column header.

Have a great day!

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@chlod24

I thought of another way too. In that 2nd column with all the detail, leave that unmerged so the columns stay uniform. Then click into the task row by double clicking on the row number itself on the far left. This will open the row in a vertical view and expand that column's information so everything is legible. This method is probably the closest you're going to get to "clicking into a task".

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @chlod24

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Matt's excellent advice/answer.

Here are some options.

• Comment
    • Wrap inactive. Hover over to show text.
    • Proof feature

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.