Index/Match Formula Between Two Sheets

Options

I'm trying to use either an index/match formula on sheet 2 (deliverables) so that if will automatically enter the "assigned to" employee from sheet 1 (master). For checks and balances I need to ensure that it does match the type of document (Primary Column) documents may not be in the same row from one sheet to another.

Please see below. Sheet 1 (Master) I assigned myself to Property Information Form (PIF). Thus I want sheet 2 (Deliverables) to show my name under Assigned To for Property Information Form (PIF)

SHEET 1 - MASTER SHEET (DUE DATES AND ASSIGNED TO)

SHEET 2 - DELIVERABLES SHEET (COLUMNS INCLUDE DUE DATES AND ASSIGNED TO)

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @GMagdaleno

You can use an INDEX MATCH formula in the Assigned To column of sheet 2.

This will need to be a cross sheet formula. Are you familiar with how to set up cross sheet references? If not, take a look at:

Your formula will be something like:

=INDEX({Sheet 1 Assigned To}, MATCH([Primary Column]@row, {Sheet 1 Tasks}, 0))

Where Sheet 1 Assigned To is the name you give to the Assigned To column in sheet 1 when you create the cross sheet reference. And Sheet 1 Tasks is the Tasks column in sheet 1.

The formula is saying to return the value in Sheet 1 Assigned To column, on the row where the value in the primary column in this sheet (sheet 2), matches a value in sheet 1 tasks column, and matches exactly (that is the 0).

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!