Which permission level to assess my project team?

I have a high-level understanding of the various permission levels of Smartsheet. Since my project team is new to using Smartsheet, I'll be creating, editing and maintaining the sheets, reporting and dashboards for our project.

As using Smartsheet is new to my project team, I want to be cognizant about what permission level to provide them. My concern is that I don't want them to have access to modify the structure (adding/deleting columns and rows), but I do want them to be able to update their assigned tasks (ie. updating % complete). Thus, they need more than "Viewer" access. I assume they also need more than "Commenter" access since this still doesn't allow my team to edit the content within the sheet. However, "Editor" access is too much b/c then it does give them the ability to add/delete columns/rows (concern is that they'd add/delete rows/columns, and that could really mess up the project plan).

What is the best permission level to provide? Am I overlooking anything?

Answers

• Kaveri Vipat
    Kaveri Vipat ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

If you want them to update just specific information in the plan then you can create an update request automation with only the required columns so they can not not modify any row/column and share the sheet with viewer access. If this not helping then you can share it with the Editor - can not share access and give them the brief about the plan structure, so they will make sure while modifying the specific information and you can also lock columns/rows once the information is added to the sheet.

Thanks,

Kaveri Vipat

Senior Associate - Smartsheet Development, Ignatiuz Software

2023 Core Product Certified

Did this answer help you? Show some love by marking this answer as "Insightful💡" or "Awesome❤️" and "Vote Up⬆️"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @MightyBlues24

I hope you're well and safe!

Which Smartsheet plan do you have, and have the other users been assigned a license?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Kaveri Vipat - thanks for your feedback! That's a good idea on the form capability. That's an idea I'll need to think through. As for the "Editor- cannot share"- what the concerns about "editor- can share" vs "editor- cannot share"? How and when do you use that permission level?

@Andrée Starå - I have the Business license, and my project team does NOT have a license. Hope that helps!