Capture Successor Task Names in a Column

Options
Mellow
Mellow ✭✭✭
edited 04/12/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi All,

I would like to capture the names of all successors of a given task in a column. After reviewing other similar posts on the site I feel I am close to a solution but need some help getting it over the line. Please see my work so far:

Note: My Task column is called 'Milestone / Task'

1. Created a text/number auto number column called 'Auto'
  2. Created a text/number row number column called 'Row' - =MATCH(Auto@row, Auto:Auto, 0)
  3. Created a text/number Successors column called 'Successors' - =JOIN(SUCCESSORS([Milestone / Task]@row), ",")
  4. Created a multiselect dropdown column to convert successors into characters - =SUBSTITUTE(Successors@row, ", ", CHAR(10))
  5. Created a text/number column to return successor names for each task -=JOIN(COLLECT([Milestone / Task]:[Milestone / Task], Row:Row, HAS(SucHelp@row, @cell)), CHAR(10))"

The last step keeps returning the unpasrseable error. Any help would be appreciated!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Mellow

The structure of your formula looks correct to me! This means that the error may have to do with the formula being unable to find a matching cell or column.

Can you double check that all your column names are spelled correctly? Do they highlight in different colours in your sheet?

=JOIN(COLLECT([Milestone / Task]:[Milestone / Task], Row:Row, HAS(SucHelp@row, @cell)), CHAR(10))

• Mellow
    Mellow ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for getting back to me! Unfortunately, I think the names are spelled correctly:

Looking at the highlights in the sheet, it also looks like the formula is targeting the right cells / columns.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Mellow

This screen capture is super helpful! It looks like you just have one too many closing parentheses.

After CHAR(10) < the pink ones, you should only have one blue one to close out the JOIN( function.

=JOIN(COLLECT([Milestone / Task]:[Milestone / Task], Row:Row, HAS(SucHelp@row, @cell)), CHAR(10))

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mellow
    Mellow ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Thank you so much!! I am so embarrassed that it was that simple. I swear the last ')' looked bluish on my screen haha!

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Haha no problem at all! 🙂 I've done that before, too.

Sometimes I remove out all of the closing parentheses and hit enter just to be safe... Smartsheet will fill in the correct number when you do that.