Non-repeating email notification when value in sheet is reached.

Options
Vandalist
Vandalist ✭✭
edited 04/16/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

We have an automation set up to send an email for when a certain value in a cell reaches 50%, 75% and 100% of a predetermined value. For example, the automation will fire when the cell value is 10 of the predetermined value of 20 (50%).

Our issue is that the notification fires off again every time the cell value increases. We only want it to fire once. Is this possible?

We are using SmartSheet as a simple time-tracking tool and so we want to be able to advice clients when they reach certain milestones, but only once per milestone.

Thanks everyone.

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Vandalist

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Vandalist
    Options

Sure thing. Below is one of the automations.

The predetermined value is 6, and this automation is triggered when the variable value is less than half (3). But when it goes lower (2 or 1) the automation fires off again.

Thank you.

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Vandalist,

You can get round this by adding another column and modifying your workflow.

For instance, adding a checkbox column "50% warning sent" and modifying the workflow to something like this:

You (or in this case, I) would only get the alert the first time the Hours Remaining goes below 3. As the alert is sent, the tick box is checked, which prevents the conditions being able to be triggered if the Hours Remaining dips further. You would presumably want tick boxes for the other thresholds and probably also to modify the conditions for between them in terms of hours so you couldn't get multiple at once (for example, if 1 entry took you over both 75% and 50%).

Hope this helps, but if I've misunderstood anything or you've any problems/questions then just ask!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Vandalist

Happy to help!

• Is there anything else that can be used to indicate that the workflow for 50% has been triggered?
    • If not, you'd need to add a so-called helper column with a dropdown, then add the different status options to it, and a change cell a cell action to your workflows to indicate that it has triggered and a condition to the different workflows that checks if it has already been initiated.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Vandalist
    Vandalist ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options