How do I change a date format in a formula to long date format?

Options
Anna Rain
Anna Rain
edited 04/17/24 in Formulas and Functions

Hello! I am setting up a meeting agenda in WorkApps and have a date column that displays the date in a long date format to avoid confusion between regions: Sep 28, 2020.

I would like this date format to show in a formula. The pre-set formula is simply =[Next meeting]@row + " Meeting Agenda", so that looks like this: 09/28/20 Meeting Agenda

However, I would it to look like this: Sep 28, 2020 Meeting Agenda.

How do I do that?

Thanks so much!

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Anna Rain,

You'll need to use IF statements and concatenate to return the desired result:

=IF(MONTH(Date@row) = 1, "January" + " " + DAY(Date@row) + ", " + YEAR(Date@row) + " Meeting Agenda", IF(MONTH(Date@row) = 2, "February" + " " + DAY(Date@row) + ", " + YEAR(Date@row) + " Meeting Agenda", IF(MONTH(Date@row) = 3, "March" + " " + DAY(Date@row) + ", " + YEAR(Date@row) + " Meeting Agenda", IF(etc....))))

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• Anna Rain
    Options

Thanks so much for your quick response. I can't make it work but I think that's probably because I need to learn the basics... (I'm pretty new to Smartsheet.) I will take a look at Smartsheet University and try again once I know what I'm doing. ;)

Thanks!

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @Anna Rain,

Can you copy your formula that's not working? The issue could be as simple as forgetting a comma or not closing off a parenthesis!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!