I am unable to find the right formula to checkbox in a column?

Options

Sheet 1 - I receive project feedback for various projects based on project ID numbers and names. This is the sheet I want to pull data from.

Sheet 2 - This where I need to track whether feedback is received or not based on a column checkbox to reference Sheet 1.

Q1: What would be a good formula to pull data from Sheet 1 to Sheet 2 to checkbox?

Q2: When there are multiple feedbacks for the same project in Sheet 1, I still want to checkbox and not have BOOLEAN Error, How do I go about that?

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Khadija Ali

Please try the following:

use the COUNTIFS function to check if the project ID in Sheet 2 matches any project ID in Sheet 1 and if there's any entry under the feedback-related columns. Here’s an example formula you can use in Sheet 2:

=IF(COUNTIFS({Sheet1 Project ID Range}, [Project ID]@row) > 0, 1, 0)

In this formula:

• {Sheet1 Project ID Range} should be replaced with the range of the "Project ID" column in Sheet 1.
    • [Project ID]@row refers to the Project ID on the current row of Sheet 2.

This formula checks if there are any rows in Sheet 1 that have the same Project ID as the current row in Sheet 2. If at least one match is found, it returns 1 (which will check the box), otherwise, it returns 0 (which will leave the box unchecked).

The formula provided above inherently handles multiple feedbacks per project without returning a BOOLEAN error. The COUNTIFS function counts the number of times the specified condition is met across the dataset. As long as there's at least one feedback for a project, the checkbox will be checked, regardless of the number of feedback entries. This approach doesn't throw a BOOLEAN error because it's always returning a numeric count, and the IF function then converts this count into a checkbox state (checked or unchecked).

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Khadija Ali

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Khadija Ali
    edited 04/24/24
    Options

Hello@Andrée Starå

Sheet 1: This is the sheet I get all my feedback and would like to use as my reference sheet

Sheet 2 : This is the sheet I want to create the formula for Sponsor Feedback Received Column?

I hope this helps give more context!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Khadija Ali

Please try the following:

use the COUNTIFS function to check if the project ID in Sheet 2 matches any project ID in Sheet 1 and if there's any entry under the feedback-related columns. Here’s an example formula you can use in Sheet 2:

=IF(COUNTIFS({Sheet1 Project ID Range}, [Project ID]@row) > 0, 1, 0)

In this formula:

• {Sheet1 Project ID Range} should be replaced with the range of the "Project ID" column in Sheet 1.
    • [Project ID]@row refers to the Project ID on the current row of Sheet 2.

This formula checks if there are any rows in Sheet 1 that have the same Project ID as the current row in Sheet 2. If at least one match is found, it returns 1 (which will check the box), otherwise, it returns 0 (which will leave the box unchecked).

The formula provided above inherently handles multiple feedbacks per project without returning a BOOLEAN error. The COUNTIFS function counts the number of times the specified condition is met across the dataset. As long as there's at least one feedback for a project, the checkbox will be checked, regardless of the number of feedback entries. This approach doesn't throw a BOOLEAN error because it's always returning a numeric count, and the IF function then converts this count into a checkbox state (checked or unchecked).

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Khadija Ali
    Options
  • Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's Good news @Khadija Ali don't hesitate to call for any help.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!