Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Fixing a milestone date

Comments

• Adding my vote too.  Seems like a fairly obvious attribute. Would be a great benefit.

• This would be really useful for me, too. Our projects have lots of subtasks where the duration isn't set in stone, but the end date is. Here's an example:

- A presentation need to be created in time for a big meeting on Sep 15.

- Work on the presentation can't start until some prior task ABC completes.

- Task ABC is expect to complete August 15, so the presentation task has a start date of Aug 16 and a complete date of Sep 14.

- Task ABC slips schedule and needs until Aug 25. I adjust the end date of task ABC. This causes the presentation task start date to jump to Aug 26 (either automatically or manually, depending on how I have configured the row).

- But now the presentation end date jumps to Sep 25, because Smartsheet prioritized the duration over the the end date. In reality, whoever is doing the presentation will just have to work longer hours to finish it by Sep 15. I want the end date to take priority over the duration when the schedule adjusts (for some rows).

If there's a way to accomplish that, I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm still pretty new to Smartsheet. 

• Hi.

Is there meanwhile a feature integrated into smartsheet that allows a "fix" setting of a milestone within one sheet against which other tasks are running to...

Clarification:

I'm not asking for a fix set milestone that is marking just an end-point in my project (TOPD-DOWN-Scheduling), but an Milestone (e.g. an company milestone) that turns red, since it's (sub-)tasks are not delivered in time.

Ben

• Chris Boron
    edited 09/13/16

Adding in my vote too, this is CRUCIAL. I'm testing out the software now, and without this I may not move forward

• Crucial for me as well. Management expects me to find solutions without touching the milestone. the feature would ease planing and rescheduling a lot.

• Its been over a year now since users have requested this feature and not even a response or update. Can we get a comments from Smartsheet on being able to lock a milestone date. We dont want to use the template you have for a fixed end date.

• Please add my vote.

• You should not need vote to add such a useful option of "Contraints", It should have been implemented by now ( Seeing coment from 2015 )

• Hi Amol—we encourage people to vote for the features they'd like to see in the application and we specifically like to hear stories so we know how you're using Smartsheet.

We'd prefer not to just assume that everyone wants a feature, or implement a feature in a way that differs from how the majority of our users want the feature to work. 

Smartsheet is a flexible application, it's used for more than just project management, so we need to consider how everyone's using it.

We definitely see from customer feedback (including yours) that constraints are important to people, and I've added your vote for this to our enhancement request list so our Product team is aware of how many people need this feature.

Thanks for your input!

• Please add my vote for this too.

• I agree that this is crucial, I'm trying to introduce Smartsheets to the different Department Heads in my company, and every one of them is struggling with this right now. Our finish dates need to take some sort of priority over a dependancy, when dealing with Customer move-ins on our houses it is not really an option to just ask someone to take possesion on a later date...

• vcheng1 & Ryan,

I've got your votes down for review by our Product team as well!

• Another vote for this feature right here. We use these as decision points along the way within large scale projects.  Critical feature and really needs to be addressed.

• Please add this feature.  Like others have mentioned this is a VERY basic function.  I know it probably makes me seem like a square, but right now I'm yearning for MS Project.

While you're at it, can you add more customizable time scales and a feature for setting baselines without having to do a weird sort of Rube Goldberg workaround?  Do I need to "vote" for those in separate conversations?

• Is there any update on this? It's crucial for the project we're working on. Also, I've looked at the template 'Gantt Project with Hard Deadline' which looks like it could be a workaround, but what is the functionality around it? I can't work it out. We can't use this actual spreadsheet as it would mean copying and pasting 20 spreadsheets into this template and adding the columns it doesn't have. 

Unless it's already developed then I also vote for a hard deadline functionality. I would have thought it was critical for most projects as not many come without hard deadlines.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.