Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Troubles with inputting a value for notification

Nick Varner
Nick Varner ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I am creating a sheet to keep track of a budget process. I am curious why a notification does not get sent out when I input a value by typing it in when using the "is one of" condition? The notification only works when I already have 100% typed in the column somewhere, then I have to select it from the drop down box. Why does it not see the "100%" as the same value as the one I typed in?

Comments

• Nick Varner
    Nick Varner ✭✭✭

Here is a screenshot:

Capture.PNG

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Two things are happening. If you column is set up as percentages, the number 1 is being transcribed as 100%. When you see your Percent Complete "Select Values" there it has TWO 100%. One is probably set up as the result of 1 being transcribed as 100% and the other is your actual text value of "100%". Try selecting both to make sure you get notifications for both inputs. 

As a rule, % formatted columns use decimals to convert to actual percentages. You could either just type 1 and hit enter. Or do as I mentioned above. 

• Nick Varner
    Nick Varner ✭✭✭

So basically it is reading the one I typed in as a String, and is reading the already inputted value as a Number? Thanks for the response. I did some more testing and is working now.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is correct. When you input it with the dropdown it's actually inputting a 1 and converting it to 100%. If you would input a1 instead of 100% it would have read it as 100% and worked with your notification. 

See the section on Number Formatting at https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518246-formatting-options for Smartsheets brief explanation.

This discussion has been closed.