How do I count how many columns are in another smartsheet?

I've ran into issues with cell limits, so now I am trying to create a summary sheet of all of my smartsheets that would calculate how many columns are used in each smartsheet.

I've tried adding a [First Column] and [Last Column] in the actual smartsheet I want to count, then used this formula:

=COUNTIFS([First Column]1:[Last Column]1, OR(NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), ISBLANK(@cell)))

This worked within the actual smartsheet. But I want these counts in a seperate smartsheet and can't figure out the formula syntax to use. I've tried this:

=COUNTIFS({Exam Practice Sheet Range 1}, OR(NOT(ISBLANK("")), ISBLANK(<>"")))

This returns "Invalid Operation"

Any suggestions

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming {Range} is a row selection, you will need "@cell" references in your formula:

=COUNTIFS({Exam Practice Sheet Range 1}, OR(NOT(ISBLANK(@cell)), ISBLANK(@cell)))

But my personal choice is to do away with the NOT and ISBLANK functions entirely because I hate dealing with parenthesis any more than is absolutely required.

=COUNTIFS({Exam Practice Sheet Range 1}, OR(@cell <> "", @cell = ""))

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!