How to create a new row by pasting in data from Excel WITHOUT access to the source sheet?

Options
kevans33
kevans33 ✭✭✭
edited 05/01/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi!

I am working with a source sheet that has highly sensitive information, so the collaborators can't have direct access. Because of that, I have created a report where they can update only the rows they are tagged in whenever they need to.

However, from time to time they will need to add new rows to the sheet using over a dozen columns of data from an excel report that was exported from another program.

I don't think a form would work for this since you can't copy and paste data in from columns. Is there another way to do this?

Tags:

Answers

• Matt Small
    Matt Small ✭✭✭
    Options

Is the pasted data highly sensitive or is it the other underlying data on the sheet that is sensitive? If it is not the pasted data, you could create a separate sheet and give everyone access. You could then use a "Move Rows" automation to push that data to your sensitive sheet once it has been copied in. This will not work if the pasted data is sensitive as that data will still be present in the audit trail of the sheet. If it is the pasted data, perhaps depending on the number of collaborators, making separate sheets for each user with the same automation? Just be sure the column names match between the 2 sheets 😊