Formula for totaling 2 selections from a drop down in sheet summary

Options
Hello,I am trying to write a formula for my sheet summary. I would like a formula that gives me a total number when Instructional Design and Learning Solutions is selected. I have been successful with the countif formula when I want to count just one criteria but not two.

Best Answer

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @KHoward,

If you're only wanting to count cells that contain both those items, then you'll want to use COUNTIF, AND, CONTAINS in the sheet summary formula:

=COUNTIF(Dropdown:Dropdown, AND(CONTAINS("Learning Solutions", @cell), CONTAINS("Instructional Design", @cell)))

If you want to count cells that have either one of them, just change the AND to OR.

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @KHoward,

If you're only wanting to count cells that contain both those items, then you'll want to use COUNTIF, AND, CONTAINS in the sheet summary formula:

=COUNTIF(Dropdown:Dropdown, AND(CONTAINS("Learning Solutions", @cell), CONTAINS("Instructional Design", @cell)))

If you want to count cells that have either one of them, just change the AND to OR.

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• KHoward
    KHoward ✭✭
    Options

@bisaacs Thank you, that did the trick. I needed the OR.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!