VLOOKUP Formula to pull column data into another sheet

Options

I'm trying to match the "Application" # (Table 1) to the "Application Name" (Table 2) and return the corresponding "Primary Product Family" (Table 2, Column 2) into "Program" (Table 1, Column 1) using the VLOOKUP formula, but I'm receiving some of the information and the other information returns #NO MATCH.

I want to match the "Application" in Table 1 and "Application Name" (Column 1) in Table 2, then return the "Primary Product Family" (column 2) into "Program" in Table 1.

Table 1: Formula is in Program.

Table 2: matching the Application Name, then pulling from Primary Product Family column

=VLOOKUP(Application@row, {Applications}, 2, false)

What am I doing wrong here?

Best Answer

• Gillian C
    Gillian C ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jwilson

Have you tried using INDEX MATCH instead? If I'm trying to pull particular information from another sheet I use INDEX MATCH (if you want to pull a valued based on 1 set of criteria) or INDEX COLLECT (if you want to pull a value with multiple criteria to match).

Try

=INDEX({Primary Product Family}, MATCH(Application@row, {Application Name}, 0))

Using the 'Reference another sheet' for the Primary Product Family and Application Name ranges.

Answers

• Gillian C
    Gillian C ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @jwilson

Have you tried using INDEX MATCH instead? If I'm trying to pull particular information from another sheet I use INDEX MATCH (if you want to pull a valued based on 1 set of criteria) or INDEX COLLECT (if you want to pull a value with multiple criteria to match).

Try

=INDEX({Primary Product Family}, MATCH(Application@row, {Application Name}, 0))

Using the 'Reference another sheet' for the Primary Product Family and Application Name ranges.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!