Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Calculating Variances with Negative Numbers

elliot_gold
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

How do I do this on Smartsheet? I have an Actuals and a Budgets column. I'd like to compare the 2. So for example, if you have a Budget of 100, and an Actual of 70, then the variance would be -30%.

IFERROR((Actual-Target)/Target,0) is all good for positive numbers but I need to ensure it also works for negative numbers.

In Excel, this works using IFERROR((Actual-Target)/ABS(Actual*(Target=0)+Target),0).

How do I get a similar formula to work in Smartsheet?

Thanks

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/06/17

Elliot,

I must admit, I have never seen this:

ABS(Actual*(Target=0)+Target)

but I found a good link that explained it.

Excel formula returns variance for:

1. positive target (budget)

2. target of 0 (returns 100%)

3. negative target

4. returns 0 for other errors

Smartsheet does not have an easy way to prevent a Text/Number column from only being a number, so a typo could throw an error too.

This formula will account for that too (for row 23)

=IFERROR(IF(Target23 = 0, 1, (Actual23 - Target23) / ABS(Target23)), 0)

I hope this helps.

Craig

• elliot_gold
    edited 12/15/17

Thanks v much Craig. That's super helpful.

• MarcRNelson
    MarcRNelson ✭✭✭

The power of the community.  Thanks Craig!

• MarcRNelson
    MarcRNelson ✭✭✭
    edited 05/10/18

Hi Craig,

It looks like the only scenario this formula does not work for is when your Actual and Budget are both 0.  Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Marc

IF ERROR - ABS.PNG

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

By my understanding of the Excel functionality, what you are seeing on row 1 (and 2) is case number 2: target (budget) of 0 returns 100%

=IFERROR(IF(Target23 = 0, 1, (Actual23 - Target23) / ABS(Target23)), 0)

I have bolded where this is determined. If you put any value in Actual (0, 20, 100, 1000), the Variance returned is 100%. Smarter people than I (and accountants too*) can debate what the variance should be when the budget / target is 0. The formula can then be changed to their opinion (the facts say 'undefined')

Craig

*that's a joke**

**mostly

• MarcRNelson
    MarcRNelson ✭✭✭
    edited 05/11/18

lol, Thanks Craig.  I get what you are saying and have seen a lot of debate on this.  For my purposes I need to show 0% change when Actual and Budget are both 0.  Basically what I am trying to do is highlight where the over and under spending is occurring across the budget. Is this even possible to do while keeping everything else in-line dynamically?  It does not appear to be.  Appreciate your help in advance.

In Excel this seems to work fine as I believe it should for my purposes.

Best Regards,

Marc

IF ERROR - ABS 2.PNG

Excel ABS.PNG

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This formula will do that that for you:

=IFERROR(IF(AND(Target23 = 0, Actual23 = 0), 0, IF(Target23 = 0, 1, (Actual23 - Target23) / ABS(Target23))), 0)

However, if the Target is 0% and the the Actual is 100%, in some cases, that leads me to believe it can be something more than 0% and less than 100%. This will result (as before) with 100%

I would add some checks for that (conditional formatting or additional columns to check). Remember 0% Variance is GOOD and 100% is BAD, so I would avoid changing the formula for non-0 actuals when there was no budget.

Craig

• MarcRNelson
    MarcRNelson ✭✭✭

Thank you Craig this is perfect!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You are welcome

This discussion has been closed.