Dashboard error. Unable to display chart

Options

Answers

• Kerry F
    Kerry F
    edited 05/02/24
    Options

All of a sudden on my dashboard, I'm getting this error- unable to display chart, we are unable to read the source data. Please ask an admin to select a different range for this chart.

I have been trying to fix the widget issue on my dashboard. I made a copy of the dashboard, and a copy of the report and I tried to recreate the chart from the copies, but that did not work. So I made a new report, and created a new chart widget on the dashboard and I still get the same error. When I tested it using random data from different sheets/ reports it seemed to be selective also as to what data it would read and what data it would not read. I see out on the Smartsheet Community that other people are having this same issue with charts that they have had in use for a while, but all of a suddenly Smartsheet is unable to read the data.

Is this a known error on smart sheets and are they trying to fix it on the back end?

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Kerry F

Can you post a screen capture of what your Report looks like? In order to generate a Chart from a Report, there would need to be at least one set of Grouping and Summary applied, so that numbers show up to be mapped. OR the Report would need to have at least one column that has numbers in it.

Is it possible that the Report you're referencing has only text columns, without any grouping?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Kerry F
    Options

Hello, this is a screenshot of the data used for the last four months for the chart widget on the dashboard. The chart is supposed to display the projects by status by # of projects that are on track, off track, require attention, on hold, and not started. One of the projects managers noticed that the chart was displaying the error I provided.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 05/03/24
    Options

Hi @Kerry F

It looks like the Summary was removed for this Report, so there's no number associated with the Grouping. This is why the chart can't create data.

Add in the Summary to Count your rows, and you should be good to go! 🙂

• Kerry F
    Options

Hi, How could the summary have gotten removed?? Only admins have access to this report. I guess I lost my mind and thought that the data was corrupt. Thank you

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Haha no problem at all! If the column that was doing the count was removed from the Report, the Summary would have automatically been removed as well. Perhaps someone was cleaning up and didn't realize it was connected to a number.

• Kerry F
    Options

Thanks again for your assistance I guess it was too obvious that's why I couldn't see it. I have a bad habit of making things harder than what they should be. I will talk to the other admin just to ensure that we didn't accidentally remove that column