Sort Function

Options
Davide Laghi
Davide Laghi ✭✭
edited 05/04/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to disable the Sort function for a sheet (i.e., an indexed sheet)?

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no way to turn off sorting, but there should be ways within formulas to account for the data being sorted. Are you able to provide more details as to exactly what your challenge is?

• Davide Laghi
    Options

Thanks, Paul.

My challenge is that every time I have an Indexed sheet (i.e., with an Index Distinct ID column) and some of the other columns in the sheet are not Fx columns, if a team member accidentally sorts and then saves the sheet, everything gets mixed up.

I'm starting to go in the direction of locking these sheets for updates and allowing updates only via Reports.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok. So a combination of pulling in a list with formulas and manual entry. That's always a challenge. If you have access to Dynamic View or WorkApps, they both could help tremendously as well.

• Davide Laghi
    Options

Thank you, Paul.

Dynamic View is not in my stack, but I am an avid user of WorkApps.

I segregate business processes end-to-end in WorkApps Page Views and use Reports within those to implement rows' access segregation (which is my basic understanding of what Dynamic Views does).

Bear in mind that my use case is a BPO/farming out one…WorkApps is my vehicle to run processes in outsourcing for my clients.