Formula to sum Children if a Helper Column for Parent Row is checked

I've created a Helper Column that checks itself if it is a Parent Row. I'd like to create a column formula that will automatically sum any children under that Parent Row. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/07/24

Try a column with this formula

=IF([Helper Column2]@row =1,SUM(CHILDREN([# of Estimated Hours]@row)))

And a Second one with this.

=IF([Helper Column2]@row =1,SUM(CHILDREN([Actual Hours]@row)))

Otherwise you would have to enter =Sum(Children()) on each parent row if you want to keep the children rows editable.

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with any of the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, or accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Thank you, Mark.poole, but that resulted in "unparseable". Any other suggestions?

• Sam_Harwart
    Sam_Harwart ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/07/24

Hi @Sandy Glassberg ,

You won't be able to have a column formula and manual entry in the same column. You could have a column that allows for entering in child task hours and a second column that totals the children. Conditional Formatting could also gray out the parent rows so users know not to enter data there.

Something like this:

[Estimated Hours - Parent] =IF(C@row = 0, "", SUM(CHILDREN([Estimated Hours - Child]@row)))

[C] =COUNT(CHILDREN())

Conditional Formatting for rows with C>0.

Does this help?

Thanks,
    Sam

Want to chat about a Smartsheet problem you're facing? Grab time on my calendar here: Schedule a Discovery Call!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!