Making Column auto select options based off what I put in another column

Options

hello , I am trying to build a project plan tracker.
im looking to make one column auto select requirements based on what I have in another column. I.e. Column 1 is project name Column 2 is project requirements.
so if I punch in the project name for this example we’ll say Ford Ranger, I want column 2 to auto select from a drop down what needs to be done like “Tune up, Repair, Service” or if I punch in Chevy Silverado and it only needs Service I’d like column two to be able to pick that up.
If I need to make a second sheet as a master tracker, that’s fine just looking for help on making this work. Thank you

Answers

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could create a second sheet with the information. Then use an Index match on the original page to pull the information

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, and accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• WillLuecke
    Options

I’ll look into it, I don’t know a whole lot about Index match. Is it a formula?

• Mark.poole
    Mark.poole ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yes it is a formula. It’s like a better vlookup

If you found this comment helpful. Please respond with the buttons below. Awesome🖤, Insightful💡, Upvote⬆️, and accepted answer. Not only will this help others searching for the same answer, but help me as well. Thank you.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 05/08/24
    Options

Hi @WillLuecke

Here's a Help Article with an example of an INDEX(MATCH combination!

What this will do is use an identifier (e.g. Project Name) that is matching in both sheets to then bring back the value in the related column (e.g. Requirements). But this will mean that one of the sheets should have both values already. Is that what you were looking to do?

Another option would be to set up a workflow in the sheet to automatically populate the cell in the Requirements column based on what's selected in the Project Name column. This would require you to know ahead of time each Project and their Requirements. See: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482299-change-cell-value-in-an-automated-workflow

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• WillLuecke
    Options

Yes, that’s ultimately what I’m looking to do. My 2nd sheet will be a master tracker essentially, I am going to have a column with the project name, and then the second column will have project requirements.
    I think this index match will help me. Now I just need to figure out how I can make them auto pop on my master sheet as well

I’m setting it up to where I’ll have roughly 20 columns.
    column 1 being Project column 2 being requirements. Columns 3-20 will be the name of each requirement, and when I input a date under those columns I want it to take away that requirement from column 2s drop down.
    I think it’s possible and that should in turn allow me to match index column 2 to my second sheet to where anytime I input the project name, it’ll auto populate column 2 from my second sheet.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @WillLuecke

Yes, that sounds possible! Let us know if you need help with the INDEX(MATCH after reviewing that article.

Cheers,
    Genevieve