Sheet summary report to row report

ganeshap23
ganeshap23 ✭✭
edited 05/13/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Any one have any suggestion on converting sheet summary report to row report?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi @ganeshap23

The two different types of Reports pull data from two separate sections of your sheet.

• A Row Report looks at the rows of your sheet, so the actual grid
    • A Summary Reports looks at the sheet summary panel on the right hand side of the sheet

If you want the data from a Summary Report to be a Row Report instead, you would need the data that appears in that side panel to be input in the sheet itself… for example Row 1, or down a helper column. Does that make sense?

If you explain why you want to change the type of Report, we may be able to help you with an alternate solution. 🙂

Cheers,
    Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• ganeshap23
    ganeshap23 ✭✭
    edited 05/13/24

@Genevieve P. thanks a lot for the response. Let me explain the scenario-

I have 100 different sheets with same fields in sheet summary. Each sheet has individual data.

I know that can combine all of the sheet summary details into one report using sheet summary report. However I cannot use this report for any dashboard to show the metrics like sum, count or any other like how we use it in normal sheet.

Sheet summary report is cannot be used as reference sheet on column specific or row specific. So I want to convert the sheet summary report to row report with all the columns. Currently I'm exporting to Excel and manually copy paste to sheet so that I can use it on metric calculations.

If you have any suggestion please let me. This would be a great help.

• Hi @ganeshap23

There are some basic functions that you can do using the Summary feature in a Report, even a Summary Report.

For example, if I have 3 sheets that are counting the number of tasks that are In Progress and Complete, I can use the Summary feature to SUM all the values across the 3 sheets:

Then you can show that in a Dashboard using the Report Widget:

Otherwise, in order to convert your data into a Row Report, you would need to add a column to each of your 100 sheets and have the data in your Summary Field stored in the column instead. Then your Row Report would reference the column in each of the 100 sheets.

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. thanks for your inputs. However it's not only for sum/count, I need to use it for Dynamic view and other purpose as well. This sheet summary report won't be working in dynamic view. I have attached my sheet summary and sheet image for your reference. Please let me know if you have any other alternative solution.

Also I would like to know is there any way I could add the new fields to all the 100 sheets in bulk.

• Hi @ganeshap23

Thank you for clarifying that this is for Dynamic View, this does change things. Dynamic View is also only able to look at direct rows, versus a Summary field.

In your instance, you will need a helper Row or Column (depending on what you prefer / what your field types are) to use as your "summary" row.

There is no way to bulk-update multiple sheets at one time, other than using the Smartsheet API, unless your sheets were all provisioned through Control Center (then you can use Global Updates). Otherwise, you'll need to manually make this change.

Cheers,
    Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. I do have authorisation for control center but how do I pull those sheets into control center. Do I need to reach out admin?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @ganeshap23

These sheets would have all needed to be generated/created by the same Blueprint - then you can Create a New Column using a Global Update in all of those sheets. This article has more information: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482113-global-updates-columns

Before you go down this route, I would recommend having the user who will be making this Global Update book a Pro Desk coaching session (if their plan has access to it) where they can fully share their screen and chat with someone about the type of change you're looking to do. Here's more information: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2478411-get-coaching-pro-desk-info

Thanks!
    Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. this is definitely insightful. Thanks a lot for your inputs. I will look into these articles and hope it resolve my issue.