Help with getting the SUM of multiple columns

I am trying to figure out the function to get the sum of multiple columns. I also want to be able to apply the function the every row in my sheet. So, when the form dumps a new response it auto finds the sum of all the points in the function.

Here are some screenshots to help with my explanation. Thanks.

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Ty Werven,

Maybe try wrapping each cell in an INT() function? That would convert the text to an integer (assuming it is a number).

Then to convert the formula to a column function by right clicking on the cell the formula is in, then hit "Convert to Column Formula" on the popup menu:

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• @bisaacs

Hello.

What would I put in the parenthesis for each column that will possible have points in them? Some columns will have nothing in them since the responses from participants vary from doing many things that get them points to very little. So, I just want to be sure that whatever method used will be able to calculate the sum of all of the columns that include possible points, and i will put them in a sum column with total points if that makes sense? Thanks.

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Ty Werven,

Actually I would wrap each cell reference in the SUM formula with the INT function, so something like this:

=SUM(INT([Preceptor total points]@row), INT([Committee Chair total points]@row), INT(etc.)….

Hope that makes sense!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!