Change the number of decimal places

CWest
CWest ✭✭
edited 05/10/24 in Formulas and Functions

Is there a way to change the number of decimal places in a given cell based on a value from another cell.

Basically, we ask our customers to update how many decimal places they want a value to go out to and we need the cell value in specific columns to match what the customer would like. It would save a lot of time if I could automate this once the change is made in the sheet.

I tried using the =ROUND function but I got a circular reference error. See example below. The decimal is correct here but only because I manually manipulated it.

Carol West

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @CWest,

You'd need an extra column for the actual number to be entered, then you'd use ROUND on the columns you'd want the number w/ decimals to display on (so in your example, lets say for the AU680 only row, they entered 5.525 in your "helper" column, then you'd put the =ROUND([Analyti…Measu… Range - Low]@row, [Decimal Places]@row)).

You were getting a circular argument because you can't have a formula where one of the cells in the formula is the cell where the formula is located.

Hope this helps!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• CWest
    CWest ✭✭

I was trying not to create helper rows as I have about 4 different low/high columns that I would have to do this with. But, if it is the only way, I can always hide the "old" value

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!